Pensioners who have worked hard their entire lives should be entitled to discounts when they retire. Too many pensioners say they feel uncomfortable asking for a pensioner discount or it makes them feel old asking for a pensioner’s discount. You have earned the discount, ask for it everywhere you go.
There is a limit as to how far a pension can stretch and with the rising costs of food, medical care, housing and fuel most South Africans are struggling to make ends meet, let alone those on a pension. There are many benefits to being that bit older and pensioners should take full advantage of any discount on offer – and there are many…
- Property Rates – As a pensioner, you qualify for a rebate on your property rates of between 40% and 100%
- SABC TV licence rebate – If you are over 70 years of age, you can apply for a rebate on your TV licence. People under 70 who are eligible for a government pension or disability grant are also able to apply.
- Hertz – If you are 55 years or older, a hire car from Hertz’s ‘A group’ fleet can be as little as R200 per day. Rates include theft and damage waivers, airport surcharge, VAT, tourism levy and 200 kilometres free per day.
- Mango flights on a Tuesday, Wednesday and Saturday come with a 10% discount for those over 60 years of age.
- Sanparks – Enjoy the delights of any of the many parks under the Sanparks umbrella at a discounted tariff, if you are 60 years or older. This applies only to certain months of the year and excludes Fridays, Saturdays and long weekends. The discounts are for camping or staying in accommodation and can be up to 40% off the normal rate.
- Ster Kinekor – Over 60s are offered a 50% discount for all movies at Ster Kinekor on weekdays and weekends, up to and including the 5.30pm shows.
- Nu Metro – Again, over 60s can enjoy up to 50% discount on movies, providing you bring along ID. This is not applicable to Wednesdays as on this day everyone qualifies for a special rate.
- Game – Over 60s can qualify for a Senior Citizens’ Discount Card which can be used only on a Wednesday in all Game stores, countrywide. The first R1 500 spent will qualify for a 10% discount, though this does not apply to groceries, liquor, insurance products cell phones, airtime and contracts.
- The V&A Waterfront in Cape Town boasts their “Especially For You” seniors campaign, which offers South African pensioners free parking anywhere at the V&A from Monday to Friday between 09h00 and 12h00. City Sightseeing’s Pensioners Special is a wonderful opportunity to see the glories of Cape Town at reduced rates. Park in the Portswood Parking garage and take a short stroll over the road to the City Sightseeing Tour Office situated outside the Two Oceans Aquarium – here you can purchase the phenomenally well priced City Sightseeing pensioner’s tickets for half the normal price. You must register with the V&A Waterfront at their information centre to access the “Especially For You” special offers. Also remember to bring along your ID book when you register.
For pensioners who prefer to leave their cars at home, Metrorail runs a pensioners’ special on Tuesdays, where over 60s can travel free by train, from any station to any destination within the Metropole area. This discount applies only on weekdays during off-peak times (09h00 – 14h00) and remember to bring your ID book.
- Pick ‘n Pay – The management of Pick ‘n Pay hypermarkets, family markets and supermarkets are free to decide their own pensioner policies as regards discounts – some of them issue special booklets with discount coupons every month for pensioners, for meat, dairy, fish and other foods. Some have a pensioners’ day once a week where a 5% discount is offered, and others have a Pensioners’ Tea once a month. Senior citizens need to be 60-plus – bring along your ID.
- Clicks – If you are 60 years or older and a ClubCard member, you can opt for Clicks’ ClubCard Seniors programme and earn Double Points on the second Wednesday of the month on their exclusive Double Points Days. On these days, you get one additional ClubCard Point for every Point you earn.
- Intercape – This ‘sleepliner’ offers a 15% discount to all senior citizens over 60 years, and they are guaranteed a seat on the lower deck so there is no flight of stairs to negotiate and the toilet is nearby.
- AA (Automobile Association) – Over 60s get a substantial discount for an annual AA Membership on the AA Alliance option. This includes three call-outs per membership year.
- Dion Wired Stores offer senior citizens and pensioners over 60 a 10% discount on Tuesdays. The purchase amount must not exceed R1 000 and excludes specials.
- Dischem treats pensioners to a Double Points Day twice a month, and there is a 60+ Pensioners Tea once a year, where senior citizens are given a hamper of products.
- Torga Optical offers free eye testing and discounts on frames and lenses, nationally, to pensioners 60 and above.
- Tsogo Sun Hotels, which include Southern Sun hotels and resorts, The Palazzo, Suncoast Towers and Beverly Hills to name but a few, offer a 50% discount to those who are over the age of 63 on the Best Available Rate of the day, subject to availability. Phone 0861447744 to secure your booking.
- Weighless Ladies over 60 and men over 65 qualify for a discount. Pensioners who belong to Vitality Discovery pay qualify for an additional discount.
- Shosholoza Meyl – This rail service offers pensioners and senior citizens a 25% discount on all their trips.
- Greyhound – All over 60s travelling on the Greyhound bus service at any time of the week receive a 5% discount.
- Orion – This hotel group offers pensioners over 60 a 40% discount on B&B rates.
- Subscribe to Car magazine and save 30% on your annual subscription of 12 issues.
- Subscribe to Getaway magazine and save 30% on your annual subscription of 12 issues!
- Subscribe to Leisure Wheels and save 30% on 12 issues.
- Selected Spur Steak Ranches offer a Seniors Menu, especially for their customers aged 65 plus.
- Shoprite and Checkers stores offer all senior shoppers a cup of soup free of charge on Wednesday mornings, to thank them for their loyal support through the years.
- Tiger Wheel & Tyre – In-store discounts on tyres / selected products and services for customers over 60 years old every Tuesday!
Visit www.youve-earned-it.co.za and subscribe to their newsletter to hear about discounts and special offers. The website also has plenty of articles about retirement and your finances.
If you find you are consistently battling to meet your monthly financial obligation you might need debt counselling, click here to find out if you could benefit from debt counselling or contact one of our consultants today 0861 487 487 or SMS DEBT to 32980 (Cost R1 per SMS).